I encountered exactly this problem years ago when using a $50,000 high-end
spectrum analyzer (at least it was back then - HP 8560 series) to
automatically characterize a wideband free-running VCO's tuning range,
tuning slope, harmonics, etc. across its entire tuning range (before the
days of the fancy VCO testers and signal source analyzers).  The specan
has a limited number of display points, and the wider the span and
resolution bandwidth (RBW) got, the less accurate the frequency readings
were (the 8560 series has a real built-in freq counter).

The trick was to start with a 100 MHz span centered near the expected tune
freq and a mid-range resolution bandwidth (1 MHz or so) to get a fast
sweep, peak search to find the center of the hump, marker to center freq,
narrow the span and RBW, repeat the peak search & centering routine, then
keep narrowing and centering until the span was as narrow as a 1 Hz RBW
would let me go. With the final peak in the display center, and the marker
set on top, the 8560's counter was used to accurately read the frequency.
This became the reference point for all the other measurements.  Takes
forever, but it was accurate.

Why didn't I just use a stand-alone counter to make it go faster?  Well, I
had to do all that stuff to set the fundamental freq marker accurately in
order to measure all the other parameters, anyway.

This technique could be used in PowerSDR to improve frequency calibration
accuracy, although I suspect it might be a wee bit faster than what I had
to do since our calibration frequency is known and we shouldn't be that
far off to start with.  The limitation with the SDR-1000 will be LO
cleanliness and stability.  It's hard to use a 1Hz or 10Hz RBW with a
slightly "rough" LO (spurs and temperature stability).

73,
Dan  KB5MY/6  DM13nc