Let me start by saying that much of what you are asking for is available as
a workaround today, but other parts are just not possible given the current
software.  We are currently working on the next generation of software that
is geared for exactly what you are wanting (flexibility, multiple radios,
etc).  See my specfic answers to your questions below.

--snip--

> Question 1.  I want to have two SDR-1000/PowerSDRs on a
> single computer screen, each of which can operate
> independently.  Can I run 2 instances of PowerSDR on one
> computer, each connected to its own SDR-1000 [or SDR-X :) ]?
> I would assume that with 2 USB ports and 2 Delta44 soundcards
> this would be possible.  Is this correct?

[Eric] Close.  We have done SO2R with 1 USB, 1 Parallel, 1 Delta 44, and 1
FireBox/FA-66.  These are the only configurations that will work given
today's software and drivers.  The USB Adapter driver currently only
supports a single instance.  But we expect to be able to support more than
one in the future.

> If this is not possible, then I guess I would need to network things.
>
> Question 2.  Now that I have asked about 2 instances of
> PowerSDR and 2SDR-1000's on a single computer, how about 3 or
> 4 or more instances of PowerSDR, each with its own SDR-1000
> [or SDR-X]?  I would assume that I would want something akin
> to a Core 2 Duo or Extreme or Quad [Kentsfield] for a bunch
> of SDR-1000s, given the demands of the realtime displays.  I
> have a couple of Core 2 Duos floating around the shack so
> this would not be a problem.  But I am already networked, so
> if it were preferable to just have one SDR-1000 to a computer
> and network everything back to a single 'control computer' I
> could do this, as long as I could bring all the PowerSDR
> displays back to one computer with ALL display and control
> functions done by the operator using that one computer so the
> other computers could run remotely with no keyboards or screens.

[Eric] With the current software, I believe you are going to be limited by
the LPT ports + 1 USB.  The soundcards would be another issue as there are
issues using 2 of any one soundcard on a single system.  You could
conceivably do up to 3 with the Delta 44, FireBox, and the FA-66 (with 2 LPT
ports and 1 USB Adapter).

> Question 3.  In terms of the UCB [Universal Controller
> Board], does this exist as a board available for purchase or
> kit or finished product or set of plans or does each user
> roll his own?  I know that on the reflector late last year it
> looked like it was going to be a group project, but then I
> never saw anything more after late October/early November.
> Perhaps I missed out on it by not paying attention...

[Eric] The original UCB was a user designed board that never went to
production.  You can see one of the prototypes in KM0T's webpage.  There is
a new design (again, developed by a Flexer) that he expects to see
production on in this quarter if all goes according to plan.  See Phil Theis
K3TUF for details.

> Question 4.  In terms of SDR-1000 control, would it be
> possible to use a single Griffin PowerMate for all of the
> SDR-instances by having it automatically selected by ONLY the
> instance of PowerSDR that had 'focus'?  Or would I need to
> clutter the desktop with as many Griffin PowerMates as I had
> instances of PowerSDR running [ugh]?

[Eric] The PowerMate (and shuttle pro, for that matter) will only control
whichever application has the focus.  There are workarounds for this, but it
sounds like this is your ideal setup anyways.

> Question 5.  Directing receive audio from the multiple
> SDR-1000s would be no problem as I use an NCS Multi-Rx and
> would keep this [unless something appeared  on the market
> that had computer control with a mixer icon in addition to
> manual switching].  Now I use an NCS Multi-Switcher to direct
> the microphone and key to the appropriate rig.
>   But it would be nice if a single mic could be connected to
> one of the soundcards and then sent to whichever instance of
> PowerSDR had 'focus', or at least if the mic could be
> directed to the appropriate instance of PowerSDR via a mixer
> icon.  Would something like this be possible?  Or does it
> already exist?

[Eric] The single Mic into a single soundcard is not likely to work with the
current software.  You will need to run the input to each soundcard.

> Question 6.  I would like to have the 'receive frequency'
> information [e.g. 28.284.4 MHz] from PowerSDR available for
> use by other [homebrew] rig control programs. I send this
> data across the network, so what I really want is just a
> 'hook' to grab the receive frequency information from
> PowerSDR periodically.  It doesn't matter to me if it exists
> in a file that PowerSDR is constantly updating which I can
> read, or via a DDE mechanism or whatever.  Please note that
> the CAT commands and serial control are not what I want here.
>  I just want a frequency 'number' that I can use as I please.
>  What exists in this regard at this time?

[Eric] The only interface with the current software is via serial port using
CAT.  If this is not what you are wanting, then the current software would
need to be extended.  Note that this becomes much simpler in the new
architecture given our design.