At 06:30 AM 2/5/2007, Bill Tippett wrote:

>Mark Amos wrote:
>  >The Flex-Radio, on the other hand, was pretty much unuseable when the
>transmitter & amp were running. It saw every dit from that transmitter out to
>dozens of KHz's away - spurs popping up and drowning out even S9+ stations.
>
>          BDR seems to be the weak point for SDR rigs.

For *some* SDR's...

It all hangs on gain control in the RF chain and the spurious free
dynamic range of the analog to digital converters.

The SDR1000 has very little selectivity ahead of the A/D, other than
the bandwidth of the A/D circuits, so it's digitizing a huge swath
(tens of kHz), in which there may be fairly strong signals.   You
typically want the gain of the system set so that the A/D never
clips: Although, depending on the kinds of interfering signals you're
seeing, and the type of modulation you're using, some clipping might
be ok.  A typical approach might be to set the gain so that the
biggest single signal is 6dB below full scale  (that lets you have a
couple strong signals that just happen to align and still not clip).

Assuming you can get 20 bits of effective performance out of the
converter, you'll have 120 dB dynamic range in the converter.  You
lose 6 off the top for the strong signal headroom, and you probably
want your desired signal at 10 dB over the quantization noise.. so
the blocking dynamic range might be about 100 dB.

The only way to get more is to have more bits.  Either you run higher
resolution converters (or gang up multiple converters interleaving
either in time or voltage) or do something like digitizing multiple
overlapping subbands, each with narrower bandwidth, and then
combining them in post processing, or, use multiple antennas to form
multiple beams, each which gets its own converter, and hoping that
your interfering signal is coming from a different direction.

There's also a variety of fancy adaptive cancellation
strategies  (not all that much different, conceptually, from the
sigma delta architecture used in high performance A/Ds like the
venerable AD9042) where you measure the strong signal and subtract a
modeled version from the analog signal before digitizing. (this was
used decades ago to remove the 60 Hz artifact from EEG recordings,
for instance).

For cosite interference (the field day type problem) people have been
using analog adaptive interference cancellers for years, since you
have access to a high quality replica of the interfering
signal.  Your receiving system (receiver and antenna) essentially has
a extremely sharp pattern null right on the interference source.

>Mark's results are consistent with ARRL's measurements.
>Is there any hope of the Janus project improving BDR
>performance or will it take 32 bits to do it?

janus is a 24 bit converter with (I think) 110dB dynamic range.

Sort of like drag racing.. how much instantaneous dynamic range can
you afford to buy?
Pretty quickly, you get out of the regime where you can leverage off
cheap consumer data converters with convenient hardware and software
interfaces.