At 04:30 AM 2/7/2007, Paull wrote:
>I believe that this has been hinted at over the years, but forgive please
>for asking the obvious...How about a "software defined calibrator" built
>into sdr code?
>
>I do not understand the need to purchase an external calibration source when
>all the required components/functions necessary to calibrate within the
>precision of an gnat's patootie already exist in the
>hardware/software...Don't they?

Nope.. the SDR1000 doesn't have the standards built in.  You need
some sort of external frequency and/or level standard to calibrate
against (or have it included in the radio)..  For frequency, one
could use WWV or similar (that will get you "few Hz" sort of
precision for frequency, depending on where you are etc.)

To calibrate on transmit, you'd need some sort of calibrated power
meter (for power output) and some sort of measuring receiver (for
image/carrier rejection).  The SDR1000 can *almost* serve as the
measuring receiver, except that in it's current incarnation, it can't
receive and transmit at the same time, so you can't do a "loopback"
type calibration.

Certainly, if you had two SDR1000s, you can do this, and even better.

Jim, W6RMK