At 04:52 PM 2/14/2007, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:
>If you didn't forget to turn your agc OFF....
>
>The big unknown here would be the signal from your signal source.  A
>lot of signal sources to calibrate frequency and level are also not
>narrow if you start looking down below. Having phasing, 120 Hz
>artifacts (particularly if you powered a signal source from a wall
>wart), or any other kind of noise down 30 db from the main signal is
>satisfactory for many uses, but not for what you are doing, which
>requires a PRISTINE signal source.
>
>Isn't there a way to look at a signal source with the SDR to verify
>how clean a calibration signal is?

You can look at the digitized samples, but what you get is the
spectrum of the source, mixed with the spectrum of the DDS, mixed
with the spectrum of the A/D clock.  If you're trying to measure
something that's really quiet, the phase and amplitude noise of the
SDR will dominate.

There's an extensive literature on measuring phase noise out there..

For a narrow band source, one strategy is to mix the signal with a
delayed copy of itself, and then look at the output of the mixer with
a suitable narrow band filter and detector.  Of course that narrow
band filter and detector has it's own noise, etc.  But, sometimes you
can characterise the detector noise, and compare the noise power with
and without the signal under test. Sort of like doing a Y factor
measurement for noise figure, where you measure the output of the UUT
with a load at room temperature and then with a load at a high
temperature (or a calibrated noise source).. then you extrapolate
back to what you would have measured without any noise contribution
from the warm load.

For all the hassles in improvised schemes, if you're really
interested in characterizing close in phase noise, spend the $200 and
get a really, really quiet XO as a comparison standard. Getting -130
dBc/Hz 10 Hz and -155 dBc/Hz at 100 Hz down to a floor of -165 dBc/Hz
at 1kHz and more isn't all that tough.  Spend a bit more and you can
get -175 dBc/Hz at 1kHz, but the real close in is about the same.

With that quiet reference, and some care and cleverness in
measurement, you can characterise almost anything.

Sapphire resonators are somewhat better, or you could scrounge up a
Hydrogen maser.  That might get you 10 dB or so better performance at
10 Hz out, say, -143 dBc/Hz, for those real eyelash of the bacteria
sitting on the gnat's eyelash kind of measurements.

>73, Guy.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075