Ross,

I haven't done that specific thing myself, but have a look at the XVTR
Setup Window that you get from the XVTRs button on the Main Menu Bar.
The idea seems to be that you use the VHF+ button on the Band Panel,
which switches the buttons from HF bands to just numbers. Then you set
up what you want the buttons to mean on VHF via the XVTRs Window. In
particular, if you enable Band Button 0, for example, then you can
select the UCB Address [= Relay Number. Note that the Pins on the ExtCtl
Panel represent the _bits_ of the UCB Address with Pins 1-4 giving you
Relays 0-15.] You can also set up other useful stuff like the real
frequency covered by the XVTR. There is a little more detail in the
1.8.0 SDR-1000 Manual, Chapter 9 Operating Forms.

I'm not completely sure how you are trying to set things up, but it
sounds like you have only two choices - select 2m or select 70cm. That
sounds like a single button/relay will do using the normally open
connection. E.g., enable Button 0 for 70cm and select UCB Address 0.
Then, when you select Button 0, the UCB relay will close, switching your
control relay to the 70cm position. If you select any other button -
enable another one for 2m and some other Address - the relay will
release and the control relay will switch to 2m.

That's probably garbled some but I hope you get the idea. Keep me
posted.

        Chris - AE6VK

P.S. - I spent some vacation time last year in NZ and loved it.