Smitty,

Just curious if you are using the same mic to make your tests from one
rig to another.  Average talk power has a lot to do with the freq.
response of the mic.  If a mic has a lot of energy between 200 and 800
cps it will produce lots of "talk power" since the there is a lot of
energy from the human voice in that range.  On the other hand, if the
mic is flat, you will see a dramatic decrease in your output unless
you boost the audio gain.  Boosting the mid-range doesn't really sound
too good, but it does have a great effect on SSB for punch.

If you use a UB-802, you might try boosting your mid-range on the
little EQ to see if it makes a difference on your relative output.

This is just a thought...

I use a digital vector wattmeter that reads true peak power. On
occasion, I have seen peaks as high as 140 watts from my Flex on 75
meters.  Usually it's in the range of 90 to 105 watts.

Good luck in finding the solution.

73
Brian / w5ami

--
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names
the streets after them. - Bill Vaughan