>       I deduced from the comments, that the bios has significantly
> changed. Thus, closing the backward compatibility path.

Very, very, very unlikely. Unlikely enough that I've never heard of or
seen a BIOS upgrade that would render a system unable to boot XP -- But,
of course, I haven't seen every possible BIOS change on every machine
(thus I'll say "unlikely" and not "impossible").

Even if you had to update your BIOS to move your machine to Vista, and
if those BIOS changes were super-ultra-rare and thus not understandable
by XP, the worst that'd happen is that you'd have to re-flash your BIOS
back to the pre-Vista version.

Vendors usually work pretty hard to avoid anything that'd turn your
machine into a brick. So, while it's true that you can't "downgrade" to
XP from Vista (keeping all your installed programs and files intact) you
can almost certainly blow-away the Vista installation and re-install XP.
You might wind-up with some devices showing up in Device Manager that XP
doesn't understand and won't support. But these devices are typically
odd things like accelerometers in laptops or "away mode" support in
media center machines -- nothing that you actually NEED to run the
machine.

de Peter K1PGV