Good day;

   I have Flexradio SN 0537-9035, with the 4-pin connector.  I need to
wire a standard dynamic hand mic to this radio.

   I have printed out the manual, but it only shows two 4-pin diagrams.
I have tried both; The last one (oldest model, ship date of "Before Feb
4, 2005.") in the list of three allowed audio from the hand mic, but no
PTT.  (I used the computer's display to transmit.)

    The other 4-pin diagram's hookup  (intended for a ship date of
"Before Jan 11, 2006, After Feb 4, 2005") allowed PTT, but no audio.
(In this second try, I tied Mic (-) to ground.  Mic (+) was hooked to
the microphone element. (See below for better details on what I just
typed here...)

   I need help in hooking a standard mic up to this radio.  Originally,
it was operated with a Heil mic.  I bought everything that was
associated with this unit, except for the antenna and microphone.  (I(
got the computer/sound card/radio/power supply, etc.)

   I would like a schematic for this OLDER version of the radio.  -Is
this available? (The newer ones have an 8-pin mic connector; The two
older versions use 4-pin mic connectors.

   From the SN I supplied, what is the date of manufacture?  (It is
equipped with the 100 watt amp and antenna tuner.)      I do know that
if I tie the mic connector's pin 3 to either pin 1 or pin 2, I have "PTT
action."

    Here is what I have tried, so far......

=======================================

[FIRST ATTEMPT]
In my case, I had initially begun by using the THIRD set of mic pin-out plans
as per page 10 in the manual I have printed out. (Note: "Third set"  is for a
ship date of "Before Feb 4, 2005.")
Pin 1 = Ground -----------------SHIELD (MIC LOW, PTT LOW)
Pin 2 = Microphone audio -------MIC HIGH
Pin 3 = Push To Talk -----------PTT SWITCH
Pin 4 = No Connection

In this plan, the four-pin connector only used three of the four pins; I set
the PTT and mic SHIELD (commons) to the "common" pin, per the diagram PIN 1.

With my use of this pin-out-plan, I was unable to achieve PTT function.  If I
use the SOFTWARE control panel to go to transmit mode, I was able to see that
the mic was indeed able to pass audio, as the TX power level followed my voice
input.  (Summary: Good audio, No PTT.)

[SECOND ATTEMPT]
I used the SECOND of the three mic pin-out plans (intended for a ship date of
"Before Jan 11, 2006, After Feb 4, 2005").  In this attempt, the "Mic (-)" and
the "PTT (-)" were tied together; Both of these points (Pins 2 and 4) were tied
to the shield/ground of my test mic.  The microphone high side was tied to the
"Mic (+)" and the mic "ground" was naturally tied to pins 2 and 4 that I had
tied together as I had described.
Pin 1 = Mic (+) ----------------- MIC HIGH SIDE
Pin 2 = Mic (-) ----------------- MIC LOW SIDE (common)  Pin 2 is hooked to pin
4
Pin 3 = PTT (+) ----------------- PTT SWITCH; HIGH SIDE
Pin 4 = PTT (-) ----------------- PTT SWITCH; LOW SIDE   Pin 4 is hooked to pin
2

With this second attempt, I was able to achieve PTT, which was different from
my first attempt.  However, I am able to see no audio.  -I had TX audio with my
first attempt.  (Summary Good PTT, but NO mic audio!)

=======================================

-Looking at the differences between pin-out ATTEMPTS #1 and #2 above, the FIRST
ATTEMPT had the mic HIGH going to what is now defined as "Mic (-)" in the
SECOND ATTEMPT.  (I find this strange...)

-In some radios, there is a voltage that is present on a "mic-audio pin" which
provides DC power for a condenser mic.  IS THIS THE CASE WITH THE FLEXRADIO?
If this is the case, maybe I have to abandon my dynamic mic, and use a
condenser mic in it's place.  (Can I use a dynamic mic with the FlexRadio?)  (I
have not had the chance to download the schematics, yet...)
          ((Update: Have downloaded the schematics at this time!))

Per page 3 of 3 (Table 1 - Connector wiring) which you had sent to me, the Mic
(+) is NOT hooked up to the front panel microphone connector.  -Yet, the fellow
I bought the radio had his Heil mic hooked to the FlexRadio's front panel's mic
connector.  (!!)  -Also, I did have TX audio with my [FIRST ATTEMPT].  I am
tempted to swap the front panel's pins 1 and 2, as this DID allow me to pass
audio to the transmitter...

I have noted that if I tie the mic connector's pin 3 to either pin 1 or pin 2,
I have PTT action.  (??)

ON THE SCHEMATIC:
J12/MTA Connector shows pin 1 as the active mic audio input; Yet "Table 1"
shows J12/1 connected to Front panel mic's pin 3, which is part of the PTT
circuit.  (From this, it appears that either "Table 1" or the schematic (Title
= TRX v3_2) is incorrect.)
I have not been able to locate the radio's front panel microphone connector on
the schematic(s).
>From the past operation of this as-purchased package, I assume that the front
>panel's mic connector is indeed hooked to MIC IN-J5.  (The information on
>"Table 1" shows no audio hooked to J12/MTA Connector; The schematic shows J12
>as fully populated.)

Well, what should have been simple is looking more like a mess.  Any
suggestions???

-Mike-
K0JTA