It would have been nice if Flex would have kept the SDR-1000 in current
production to provide a more or less entry level radio for a releatively
reasonable price.  I don't see any reason why they would discontinue the 1000
other than they did not want it to compete with the 5000.   Now without the
SDR-1000 there is no choice in the matter.  The 1000 has become a super radio
with the advent of the SDR-X software.  The new DSP configuration allowing very
fast TR switching has made a dramatic difference to those of use using VOX.  A
truly wonderful improvement!
    Having said all that, I'll most likely buy a 5000.
Frank  WA3JBT