The main reason is most likely because that is how they want to do it.

But all these fine radios do not provide you with the information and
source code so you could make your own modifications, a huge
difference to many when compared to FlexRadio and their open
development. Being open was a risky decision for Flex but it has
allowed people on the outside to make contributions. History has
shown that it was a good decision, not just for them but for owners
of the SDR-1000 also.

Happiness is a toy that keeps getting better.

At 11:47 AM 4/13/2007, Alan NV8A wrote:
>On 04/13/07 11:04 am Jim Lux wrote:
>
> >> The Flex models are in a league all of their own for factory
> >> ready transceivers. The traditional "big 4" models are all
> >> still just traditional radios with computers in them.
> >
> > Not entirely true.. my IC7000 does a lot of the same things that
> > PowerSDR does, in software..  True, it uses a different LO synthesis
> > scheme (PLLs and DDSes, rather than a single DDS) and a different IF
> > chain (several conversions, instead of one), but that's more to
> > address the wide tuning range needed... if you put a DEMI converter
> > on the front of a SDR1000 to get 2m, you've built yourself a double
> > conversion receiver.  Strip out the VHF,UHF, Wideband FM, and TV
> > functions of the IC7000 and you'd have an architecture that's quite
> > similar to the SDR1000.
> >
> > But, in terms of UI management method(software in both IC7000 and
> > PowerSDR) and baseband signal processing (DSP in both IC7000 and
> > PowerSDR, both of an "IF" that's in the 10-20 kHz range) they're the
> > same. Neither radio is an instance of the "computer turning the knobs
> > of a conventional analog rig" model (e.g. my old FT757)
> >
> > Probably the single biggest difference between the two is that you
> > can't change the software in the IC7000, because it's got equipment
> > authorization and the FCC won't allow it to be changeable to keep
> that auth.
>

>Both the Icom IC-7800 and the Kenwood TS-2000 have user-upgradeable
>firmware, so why couldn't the IC-7000? (Others have mentioned the
>Ten-Tec models)
>
>73
>
>Alan NV8A

Cecil
K5NWA
www.qrpradio.com www.hpsdr.com

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
(When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!)