From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Flexradio] Price
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:54:02 +0000

I'm afraid I must disagree.  To me, the SDR-1000, offered the chance to
build up a flex-radio rig in almost affordable increments, by firstly
purchasing the box itself for ~$1500, then the soundcard, then the PC.
After that, assorted accessories such as cables, ferrite cores, isolation
xformers, and the TCXO as needed. Because of this, I was hoping that maybe
some day I would be able to afford a flex-radio.   I was hoping that they
would continue the open source philosophy of less expensive hardware (the RF
box in this case) with increased capability due to software functionality,
cheaper RAM and more/cheaper processors, and user option building blocks
such as a soundcard choice.  Flex radio has chosen to discontinue the
SDR1000 and has instead taken the path of developing what border on being
plug and play toys for rich hams.   The assumption seems to be among other
things, that all hams already own powerful windoze PCs.  I have news for
you--not everyone does, or wants to.

Can’t afford to quit your job? – Earn your AS, BS, or MS degree online in 1 year. http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866145&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866143