At 02:35 PM 4/14/2007, Brad A. Steffler wrote:
>Frank,
>

>I think most amateurs fiercely resent the DRM intrusiveness of
>Microsoft's Vista.  I know I do.The future does appear very nice for us
>freedom
>loving hams. Just yesterday I read that the frame buffer(s) in AMD's new
>GPU will not be accessible outside the GPU.
>( http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/03/28/14OPcurve_1.html ). This is,
>apparently, a  device  to placate the "premium content providers"
>(read RIAA and MPIAA and their member businesses).  It also destroys one
>reason why we buy PC's in the first place - freedom of  flexibility.

I can think of several non-evil reasons why not to make the frame
buffer accessible outside the GPU..

I'm doing a design right now using an FPGA that takes compressed
video in a stream of  IP packets and ultimately has to generate
composite analog video. I'm hanging some RAM off the FPGA to serve as
a frame buffer, but that RAM is ONLY connected to the FPGA. The
decompressor writes and the video output player reads from the
buffers and spits out to a DAC. Sure, I could implement access to the
RAM from the processor bus, but it would be a pain, because I'd have
to figure out a way to arbitrate between bus and decompressor and
video output.  Arbitrating between 3 address and data sources is not
as easy as two, especially if I have to do it in an interleaved way
(since the video stream is, by definition, nice and interleaved in
time..).  Sure it *can* be done, but I don't need to, so I won't,
except perhaps in some hideously hacked up debug form (e.g. running a
data bus out to some pins for logic analyzer access) that costs
almost nothing, and has no performance impact.

Chip space and design time is expensive.  If there's no need for
direct access to the frame buffer, then why provide it.  It has to be
designed, tested, drivers written, etc., and it just provides more
opportunities for bugs to creep in.  And, in the commercial world, it
would just potentially extend the "time to market", which is a form
of business death.

Consumer video interfaces are a VERY cost competitive market with
very small margins  to pay for added functionality.  The only reason
you'd provide direct buffer access was to retain some backward
compatibility, and even then, at some point, you just say: emulate it
in software... Even as long ago as the VGA era, backwards
compatibility was a design curse, just to keep some software that did
direct buffer writes working.