Peter:

I get to differ back.

Forget Flex radio for a minute.  Look at pro audio cards.  <IF> USB
could support these multiple channel devices doing isochronous
communications and guarantee in order and on time delivery of the
packets,  there would be professional audio cards everywhere since, as
you have stated,  USB 2.0 is ubiquitous.

You cannot find a SINGLE USB professional sound card unless you want to
include the M-Audiophile USB.  I do NOT wish to include it.  It is a
poor performer, and delivers 2in and 2out.

On the other hand,  all of the high end sound card manufacturers deliver
PCI and Firewire.  There is a statement in all of this somewhere.  These
hard headed business types do not make these decisions lightly.

Bob
N4HY

Peter G. Viscarola wrote:
> Well, thank you Gerald.  To paraphrase: "Looked at using USB, and it
> couldn't meet the throughput requirements."
>
> Sounds like just about the best possible reason to me,
>
> de Peter K1PGV
>
> P.S.  I just need to nit-pick a bit (it's the engineer in me).  You
> wrote:
>
>> Bottom line, 1394 was designed for streaming video and audio.  USB was
> not.
>
> On this detail I beg to differ. USB was indeed designed with streaming
> both video and audio.  Witness, USB support for isochronous transfers,
> which is specifically FOR streaming audio and video.  Perhaps not the
> bandwidth you require, but that's a different point.

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine