>WELL PHOOEY, that won't do.  We will have to work on how optimize the
>settings

I've been hesitant to mention NR because everyone seems satisfied with it,
however
personally I've never found the results to be as good as the outboard units
from
companies such as BHI in the UK and Michels-Engineering in Germany in getting
rid of, for example, low band "frying bacon" type qrn and general hash etc .
The
german unit is designed specifically for the extraction of the speech waveform
when surrounded by noise. BHI is similar but works with cw as well.

NR was greatly enhanced with the introduction of Block LMS but to my mind/ear
still introduces a sort of muddiness to the audio, a loss of brightness etc
which the
outboard units (especially the Michels unit) do not. Remember I'm talking weak
signal SSB, 160/80/40 gray line dx etc.
I suspect that the cw guys are quite happy with NR as it stands. Perhaps we
need
two separate NR systems, one specifically designed for the recovery of speech
and the other for cw, in the presence of noise.

Its difficult to describe in words so here are a couple of links to some audio
samples of both units in operation

http://www.home.vrweb.de/michels/sound_demo.htm
http://www.radio.bhinstrumentation.co.uk/html/demonstration.html

There is a downside to using these units in that they are only capable of
working
with a mono input so I loose the binaural (which is a shame) and sub rx
functions,
but hey you can't have everything.............. or can we :-)

Regards to all
Trevor  G0KTN