As just mentioned on the phone to another flex user, flex-radio is
DIRECTLY responsible for my re-entering the amateur radio game.
I left about 1972 +/- when kits were not only cheaper than the parts,
but parts got hard to find at all!

I can understand the business need to make the 5k.  The sdr1000, while
comes up cleanly if one reads the fine manual,  is NOT an appliance.

A similar situation occurred to me about 30 years ago when we were
buying our second house.  We found that the builders just didn't build
any of the less expensive home, just the ones at twice+ what I could
afford.  My dad  explained it to me:"It takes almost the same
management/supervisory effort to build a $100,000 house as it takes to
build a $500,000 house but the profit is better." (I adjusted the
numbers to make better sense today!)

I have yet to talk to anyone at flex that was not TOTALLY polie and
sincerely helpful.
Guys, (flex) don't _*ever*_ outsource your phones to the flowchart /
3-ring binder guys who can remember but not think

The flex5k looks like it's gonna be good, but the 1k is what I had to have!

Jim McLester