From: Robert McGwier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:20 AM
To: Mark Amos
Cc: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Dual watch with SDR-1000...

Mark Amos wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Thanks for that info! I hadn't noticed that control before.  It's nice to
> have the flexibility to reduce this asymmetry by lowering the IF and it's
> also nice to move the DC noise hump more out of the way by increasing it.
>
> I see that the IF selection upper limit is 20000. Can you tell me what the
> reason is for this limit (assuming that it's not just
> "why-would-anyone-ever-want-an-IF-higher-than-20000".)

That is also legacy. With DttSP and PowerSDR, 44100 was never supported
so far as I can remember. I do not recall a version of DttSP which ever
allowed 44100 as a sample rate.  We started with, and have always had
48000 as a lower limit is my recollection.  44100 was there in the
Visual Basic 6 console and it had NO variable base IF.  It was always
11025 Hz +/- spur reduction offset.

First,  on 48000 Hz sample rate,  and assuming you are in USB, you
probably want at least 3500 Hz for the USB filter.    Nyquist is 24000
Hz as you have pointed out.  24000 - 3500 Hz bandwidth is 21500 Hz.  AM
and FM want wider bandwidths, etc.  The number makes sense for all sorts
of reasons when the sample rate is 48000 Hz.

It simply was never changed when I added the higher rates.  We are still
living with the consequences of me getting a wild hair one night and
throwing 96000 and 192000 Hz sample rate support in.  It has taken Eric
months to wrestle all of the consequences to the ground.  This is
another example.

Bob
N4HY

> I thought it was the case that the original IF was put there to keep the
sum
> of the sampling rates of I and Q under the N/2 limit for 44100 sampling?
If