You can have Virtual Com ports, real com ports, USB derived com ports all on
the same system, and all work with PowerSDR perfectly.  On my system I have 2
SDR-1000's.  I use a real com port on one for CW input to the SDR, I use the
jack on the back for the other radio.  I use a USB based comport for my 2
LP-100 SWR meters one each and a USB comport for my my K1EL winkey which I use
with N1MM as the keying device.  I use Vcom and VAC 3.2 with various software
programs like hamradio deluxe and DXlab suite and I can use Vcom to key the
radio from N1MM, so there are no incomparability issues as far as the
controlling software (PowerSDR) is concerned.  I have never been able to get
win warbler to work successfully and smoothly and as far as I'm concerned the
problem is with win warbler and not PowerSDR since I have made multiple other
programs work with PowerSDR.  I have gotten various parts of win warbler to
work at various times, but i always eventually give up and go back to
 Ham radio deluxe's client which is a better client anyway.  Win Warbler is a
crappy implementation since it has virtually no degree of freedom.  If it
doesn't see what it wants there is no way to adjust it to make it work.  If you
want it to work go complain to the DXlab guy.  PowerSDR works just fine with
any com port and I have used it on multiple computers so it is not just my
particular system.  So as far as PowerSDR is concerned a com port is a com port.

73  W9OY