Hi guys,

I think I found part and maybe most of the reason for my AGC issues. I
finally dug out my XG1 signal generator and did the level calibration. It
seems to affect more than just the S-meter levels. The overall sensitivity
of the rig has increased a good bit. It seems I can do with less RF gain now
and the AGC action is much smoother.

I originally did the level calibration against WWV on 10 or 15 MHz depending
on the time of day. Of course the signal levels aren't consistent over a few
seconds or even when averaged for parts of the day. I think the real 50 uV
signal helps a lot.

I couldn't find my dummy load, duh!!! So I set my PRO 2 to QRP levels, maybe
at watt or two, on an unused part of 40 meters and did the rx imagine
calibration. Yes I id-ed in CW afterwards. I had about -48 dbm into the SDR
receiver without an antenna hooked up. I only did the imagine calibration on
v1.8.0 and transferred the values, from the Image Rejection tab, to v1.9.0
SVN 1180. I hope that is enough. I will have to try the real calibration
procedure again to be sure. Somehow I suspect that the imagine calibration
won't produce the same results twice. I will have to try it again. I would
hope it produces values within the ball park on multiple runs.

The moral to the story is to RTFM and do the calibration correctly. Also
Lee's suggestions about the RF gain were valuable.

Lee and Tim: What versions of PowerSDR are you using on a regular basis?

73,

Steve N6VL