Stig and Jim,

Dale is telling the plain truth, if your main interest is getting your
signal through in noisy conditions and DX pileups. The basses convey
very little speach information, but eat up the limited power of your
transmitter. Unless you want to broadcast a Hi-Fi music program on ham
bands use a good quality multi-channel equalizer to attenuate the
lower frequencies of your modulation. And if you want real information
carrying audio punch, you may use a PROPERLY MADE compressor or even
RF clipper. However, never use compressors and/or clippers, if the the
basses are not attenuated.

Almost four years' time already I have tried to convince our Flex
software wizards and gurus to implement an integrated audio processor
that would enhance the speech signal intelligibility in noise at least
as well as explained in the following "ancient" articles. Sorry for
this repeated use of the bandwidth, but please, please, read carefully
and understand these:
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ahti/sdr-1000/filtclip.pdf
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ahti/sdr-1000/speechproc.pdf

My understanding is that these functions can be implemented by the DSP
means much more elegantly than 30 years ago by the hardware means. I
sincerely hope that some of our software experts would take my request
seriously.

73, Ahti OH2RZ