Thanks everyone for the quick and detailed explanation.  I now understand
the S meter displays one sum across the entire width of the green filter,
while the panadapter displays hundreds of sums across the width of each
individual pixel.  When I set the filter very narrow (approaching one pixel)
the S metter reading approaches the panadapter reading.

My old Kenwood was similar in that selecting the narrow CW filter caused a
drop in S meter noise floor.  This behavior makes perfect sense for any
radio.

I guess if someone asks about the noise floor, they need to specify at what
filter width.

73, Doug, VE3EFC