-------- Original Message --------
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:13:59 -0400
From: Robert McGwier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gerald Youngblood and I went to the F.C.C. and we gave a talk and
discussed their proposed rule making.  I believe you can see the impact
we had throughout this document thought I don't claim we wrote any piece
of it.  We pleaded for them to not get in the way of a successful move
of amateur radio into the almost inevitable future where larger pieces
of it were done digitally with software and cognitive radios.  We proved
then, and we have continued to supply them and the ARRL CTO with
information (ammunition) that shows amateur radio operators are doing
INNOVATIVE development that is simply not being done elsewhere and much
of it in SDR and CDR.  One of the best papers you can find anywhere on
the foundations for CDR (the mathematical tools) is in QEX and written
by Frank Brickle, AB2KT!

In the end,  they told us that if amateur radio SDR's did not self
police and provide transmit frequency protection, and removal of
completely automatic scanning outside of amateur bands that we were
likely to face serious certification of a type that would not be
affordable.  Now I know that faced with this,  we could come up with
open source means of authentication that would pass, but the expense
would be onerous.  I personally might personally be in serious trouble
if I attempted to provide this.  In the end, I think we are simply going
to have to live with small pieces of firmware at a minimum that prevent
unauthorized use of amateur SDR equipment outside of the amateur bands.

Yes, we argued strongly that almost all amateur radio equipment could be
easily modified to transmit out of band.  I offered to bring in an
unmodified transceiver  and modify it in less than five minutes to show
how easy it typically was.  I was told that I should not volunteer to
commit a crime on federal property and that they were aware of this.
The F.C.C. is responding to external pressure from all sorts of quarters
from the White House to commercial entities like Cisco to NTIS, and the
intelligence community as well as D.O.D.  The schizophrenic aspects of
this are almost ludicrous.  You find one D.O.D. office wanting to
support you, buy yours toys, help you help them,  and another wanting to
kill the entire effort.  It is bewildering.

Given this order, which is now enforceable law since it was placed in
the Federal Register, I expect more radio manufacturers to look at this
order and jump into the SDR world more completely.

I think that, overall, with these competing pressures,  the F.C.C.
struck a reasonable balance between the hysteria on the parts of some
and the desires to reinvigorate amateur radio in particular but radio
development in general in the U.S.  One only has to visit places like
the Wireless group at V.P.I. and other places to realize that S.D.R. and
C.D.R. are having a major impact on the new engineers and communications
scientists being trained at many universities.

When Frank Brickle and I gave our S.D.R. course last fall, we had HALF
of the entire senior electrical engineering class take the course and
they did not know us from Adam's house cat and many were graduating, so
it was a risk.  That was impressive, not to mention a fantastic time.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/01/24/101/?nc=1

73's
Bob
N4HY