Thanks for the clarification Ray.

I was responding to Jim's question about how to tell
the difference between an FSK transmitter and a SSB
transmitter using AFSK to modulate it; using his terms.

I related how switching a capacitor into and out of
the L C of a VFO-multiplier-amplifier transmitter was
Frequency Shift Keying.

Using a SSB transmitter with Audio Frequency Shift
Keying tones into the audio input creates a pseudo-FSK
signal.  If the carrier suppression of the SSB transmitter
is not adequate, you can hear (and see using the
wonderful SDR-1000 panadapter) the third frequency
(carrier).  If the opposite sideband suppression is
not adequate, you will also see the mirror-image of
the audio tone.  This is a way that you can tell if
the transmitter is pseudo-FSK using AFSK tones.  Then
there's the issue of distortion by over-modulating
the SSB transmitter with too much mic gain.

AFSK originally referred to using a shifting audio
tone into an AM or FM transmitter, used on VHF because
it is not legal on HF.  The advantage was that you
didn't need high stability or accurate tuning to
decode the RTTY signal, as you were not using a BFO.

Mike - AA8K