In the homebrew , 600 watt amplifier that I built, I placed the SWR
bridge before the filters so the amplifier will fault if the antenna is
wrong or the bandswitch is wrong.  The fault mode just does not allow
the amplifier to be in line.  If it is a high SWR that causes the fault,
then the exciter cuts back the power after the amplifier faults and
takes itself out of the line.  My amplifier also faults with over drive
and over temperature.  It really should be the amplifier that handles
these conditions, so that the amplifier can be used with a variety of
exciters.

Tom Thompson   W0IVJ