I'm reactivating this old thread because of
the last Flex Radio Friends TeamSpeak session.

Phil, VK6APH mentioned his experience with
phasing two SoftRock 40s running on the same
clock.  He said that the phase was rapidly
changing, even with the short distance
between his antennae.  Perhaps some sort of
adaptive scheme will be needed.

A couple of ways for optical telescopes to
compensate for atmospheric turbulence is
to use a bright, nearby star for reference
or to transmit a laser beam upwards where a
nearby star is not available.

How do radio astronomers compensate for
ionospheric fluctuations?  Surely that must
be an issue for the Very Large Array (VLA) in
New Mexico and the Very Long Baseline Array
(VLBA).  Do they use statistical methods?
Or is it sufficiently transparent at the
observing wavelengths?

Mike - AA8K