Some time back Bob McGwier N4HY wrote about changing from VCom to the
Eltima virtual serial ports (free vs paid).  We all like free.
I had miscellaneous problems running Vista with my logging program crashing
(Logger32) whether SDR was running or not and other unexplained problems,
like the keyer screwing up with VCom,
I was not using VAC yet at the time. I have a Flex 1000.
Since switching to the Eltima VSP all has been running smoothly,
the only thing I can figure is Vista does not like VCom for some reason,
at least not on my machine.
I had no problems with VCom on the XP box.
Just my 2 cents

Dave - N4DWK