At 10:18 PM 10/3/2007, Rob Dennison wrote:
>Hi,
>
>What I understand is that in the name of protecting the entertainment
>industry's profits.  All "high performance" VISTA I/O "adapters" like
>sound cards and their drivers are going to be certified by VISTA as being
>as hacker proof and unable to make copies of I/O.  This amongst other
>things means they must be certified capable of simplex operation only.

This isn't precisely true.

First off, the primary issue is with video, particularly at higher
resolutions (HDTV, for instance).  What happens is that there is a
driver software/physical hardware matching process that goes on to
make sure that the hardware is still the same as installed.  And, the
data paths are typically encrypted, so that a bus monitor can't copy
the data stream.

This is basically under control of the user applications, though.  If
the user application wants to control access, it has to have the keys, etc.

There's nothing stopping you from making a totally uncontrolled
application that plays/records your own content at whatever
resolution you want.  What you might encounter trouble with is if you
try to do this *simultaneously* with protected content, because the
OS has to arbitrate among the streams. Watching a DVD-HD
simultaneously with PowerSDR might prove problematic.

There are some current/beta drivers out there that do not properly
implement the interaction, and choose the "lowest common denominator"
sort of response, i.e. shut it down.  I would expect that these will
get fixed, since there is great consumer pressure to do so.

There's also been a lot of chit chat along the lines of "OMG! the
kernel polls the driver/hardware every 30th of a second (i.e. one
video frame time) to make sure it's still secure"... As if there
aren't already a bazillion other little polling things going on in XP
and you're running on some legacy 8 MHz 80286 where this is an issue.

>Fortunately no I/O driver capable of "high performance" has yet been
>certified.  My interpretation of this is that as drivers become certified
>your VISTA windows will be updated in the middle of the night.  What
>untold mischief this will cause is yet to be discovered.

This is somewhat an unlikely scenario, providing you are moderately
cautious about configuring automatic updates.  No different than
today's WinXP automatic updating.

It *is* possible that Vista Home, intended for naive entertainment
consumers, might have default configurations that are less
appropriate than, say, Vista Premium, or a flavor that is oriented
towards business (businesses generally won't tolerate autonomous
updates that might break a mission critical application).