All:

I am awaiting my 5000A which should ship next week. In preparation I am
finalizing what options I’ll order from flex with the 5000A. I am confused
about the Mic selection and accessories I’ll need for the mic. Firstly, I am
not very active on HF although I own a Kenwood 2000X. I listen a lot and
hope to be more active in digital modes and voice in the future. I am not
very familiar with Microphone technology and don’t anticipate using fancy
speech processing equipment. I do however like to buy the best (budget and
wife allowing) so I am focusing on the Heli PR 781. Seems like this is a
good mic that would produce excellent audio.

Microphone Questions:

1)      Assuming I order the Heli 781 from Flex, will I need the optional
$35 cable? I see it’s a balanced mic with a 3 pin XLR connection. I also see
the 5000A has a ¼” balanced input on the rear panel. The cable description
on the flex ordering page describes the cable as ¼” but for the front panel
connection. Is this an error?

2)      I also have a question about the mount. It states an SM3 mount. I
assume I would need to purchase a stand that fits an SM3 from Heli or one of
the other HAM stores. Any advice and confirmation on what I might need would
be welcomed.

3)      How is the PTT done with this mic? I assume it would be a GUI button
within the application but what if I want traditional PPT on the mic? I see
a PTT jack on the rear panel so I assume I would need an additional foot
switch or stand that has a switch.

Do I need a ‘supported’ firewire card or can I simply buy a known brand name
at the store? I might have to use a notebook to control the 5000A so I may
need a PCMCIA/Cardbus unit. Anything I should avoid?

Should I get a powerMate or Shuttle Pro. I know that this is a probable a
personal preference. I am very familiar with using screen/mouse/keyboard but
equally, I like my tuning knob. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Last question – How demanding is the Flex 5000A on the PC’s sound card.
Again I may have to use a recent vintage HP  Core2Duo Model 6400 but I am
sure the included sound subsystem is limited as it’s really a business
machine. Thoughts, recommendations?

I would like to get the second receiver for the 5000A but I know it’s not
available yet. Does anyone have an idea of the cost?

Thanks to all and I look forward to giving back to the Flex community as my
knowledge grows.

Kevin