Thanks to one and all who had me check out the cable.  It was indeed the
cable.

Removing the covers on the rig is covered in a knowledge base article I
was pointed at.  Once done, I had to get one of those "star" type
screwdrivers and after that, a cautious remove of the fan on the bottom
revealed that the plug on the underside of the board had indeed fallen
out.  Plugging it in solved the problem.

I have SSB!

There is a minor mystery now in that the PTT switch on the mic itself
remains fussy.  Or, perhaps the cable or something.  All I know for sure
is that when I have the mic out of the holder, it gets turned on at
times I don't wish and sometimes appears to get stuck.  Squeezing the
cable in various ways sometimes causes it, but for all I know, I'm
surreptiously hitting that little button somehow.  All I know is, for
now at least, having it in the holder has made it behave.  My footswitch
also works for PTT.

Overall, I now have a complete solution for CW, Digital, and SSB.  I
suppose I could take up SSTV if I wanted to these days.

Thanks again to one and all for their help on this one.

Larry Wo0Z