Follow-up...

Today I did further testing and was quite surprised that I no longer had any
addtional tones on my cw note and there was no longer any 60-cycle hum in
the background of my signal when I listened in AM mode with  my Kenwood
receiver.

What changed?  The only change made was to connect my computer to my local
network directly rather than go through a wireless Buffalo Air Station.
Hmmm... its late now, but perhaps I will go back to my prior setup and see
if that was somehow the cause.

Anyway, I'm back on the air and having fun!

Craig, AE7I