Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:08:01 -0600
From: "Jim, W4ATK"  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Flexradio] Remote Operation of the  Flex-5000A
To: "Flex-Radio Reflector"  <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>

I was talking  to a couple of my friends, Bill and Fritz, who are both proud
owners of  7800s. Bill travels a bit and was interested in remote operation
of his 7800.  This peaked my interest and yesterday morning I set out to
remote my  Flex-5000A.
I found a free product on www.logmein.com that  provided the necessary
function for control of a remote PC ( I know, I am  cheap ). I installed the
client on the XP machine that runs the radio and set  the remote software up
on the MacBook Pro (requires a "plug in" for Safari).  Security is pretty
good requiring a user name and password for Logmein and a  second password to
access the remote computer.
With very  little effort, I was moving about the console, changing bands,
audio  settings, and so forth on the Power SDR Console from my Mac.
At  this point I installed Skype on the Mac (it was already on the PC) and I
was  in business.
I was suprised at how easy it was and confirmation  of my efforts occurred
this a.m. as I used the remote to keep my sked with  Bill and others.
There is quite a bit of latency in the control  of the 5000, so your contact
needs to be aware that you are on a remote. CW  operation using CWGet and
CWType remotely with the 5000 was flawless. On a  good clean signal you do
not even need the audio connection. :-)

73's  Jim, W4ATK
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://web.mac.com/jimrogers_w4atk
No  virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free  Edition.
11:24  AM

48)