Mike & Don,

Nice to hear another SKCC member is using the FLEX-5000A.

Ditto on all the symptoms you are experiencing. I have the same problems and
haven't found a solution, but only a work around. I use a COM port on my
motherboard for CW input. Many motherboards today don't have any serial
ports at all. But I have been able to successful use the 5000A on CW that
way. Refer to the manual for the connections.

I have been unable to get any straight key, bug, or even paddles to work on
the rear jack. But I have been able to get straight keys and bugs to work
with the COM port. I haven't wired the COM port to work with paddles, but it
probably would work.

The serial port is not the preferred connection, and Flex officially
recommends that the rear CW port be used. I am waiting for Flex to find a
fix for the problem. Apparently the issue occurs for a minority of the
users.

Eric has asked me to send him some info on my system, meaning they are
working to address it. I have a local friend with the 5000A who does not
have the problem. I plan to try on it his PC tomorrow evening. If my 5000A
doesn't work with the rear CW jack on his PC, then I will ship it back for
warranty work. If it does work, I have some real troubleshooting to do on my
PC.

Hopefully I'll find a resolution that will benefit other 5000A CW ops.

73,

Steve N6VL