NC0B:

> Comments on testing radios.
>
> One can test radios with really clean OCXOs, but that does not give
> much flexibility.

W6RMK:

>Unless you're independently wealthy and can afford a whole batch of
oscillators<grin>

When that person steps forward, the following would be an interesting
receiver test (simulates a contest like the CQ 160 CW):
Space S9+30 carriers every 500 Hz and measure the change in noise
floor while cycling them on and off.  Next step would be to key the
signals on and off (unsynchronized).

An equivalent test for SSB would use spacing every 2 kHz, but adding
modulation to simulate an SSB signal.

The tests we have (IMD, BDR, Phase Noise...all using very pure
continuous sources) are woefully inadequate to simulate the real world
of transmitted phase noise, key clicks, SSB IMD splatter, etc.  Rather
than just 2 pure tones for IMD tests, it would be interesting to see
the combined effect of many.  Seems like you would get an additive
effect from phase noise over a very wide bandwidth.

73,  Bill  W4ZV