Re:  Oscillator heating element in SDR-1000

  Can someone provide the following information concerning the heating element
that is soldered to the top of the oscillator case on the TRX board:

  Resistance:
  Temperature of the oscillator case after heat up:

  Why do I ask?

  The heating element in my SDR-1000 fell off while I was removing the TRX
board and sort of disintegrated when I attempted to re-attach.  I could not
identify the part and it is not provided by Flex, so I decided to try a thick
film resistor in a TO-220 case (Vishay LTO-50 series, 47 ohms).  This resistor
is rated at 50 W with a good heat sink and about 2.5 W in air.  The power
dissipation (heating) at 13.8 v is 4 W.  Since the heat transfer area is small
(~ 10 mm square), the resistor gets HOT.  It is attached to the top of the
oscillator case with a thermal adhesive (Artic Silver Alumina).

  I had no idea how good the heat sink action would be, so a 22 ohm resistor
was added in series to reduce the heating in the Vishay resistor.  Without the
other boards installed above the TRX board, the measured final temperature at
the top of the resistor case was approx. 210 F (using a Radio Shack infrared
pyrometer).  That seemed excessive, so I increased the series resistance to 30
ohms.  The temperature came down to about 170 F and that’s where I left it.

  A photo is posted at http://pages.prodigy.net/w4qcu/heater.jpg

  Subsequent operation has been quite satisfactory with good stability after a
reasonable warm up time.

  One final note.  The heating resistor is slightly thicker (0.125 inch) than
the available space with the thin washer in place on the spacer that is right
next to the oscillator.  I used a slightly wider fiber spacer, perhaps
equivalent to two of the thin washers.  I don’t notice any degradation in the
contact between TRX board and the expansion board (which is directly above).
Caddock offers a thinner resistor with a 15 W rating (about 1 W in air).  Both
the Vishay and Caddock resistors are stocked by Mouser.

Visit FAIRTAX.ORG to discover an idea whose time has come.