David,

As I understand the SDR mic input, the mic slider is a software scaler.
It does not effect the input to the sound card.  The higher the mic gain
on the SDR has to be in order to get a given power output, the worse the
signal to noise of the Delta 44 will be.  In order to get the full
benefit of the dynamic range of the Delta 44 by using all of its bits,
the mic gain slider should be set around 10.  By using a preamp, you
raise the input to the card and increase the signal to noise.  For
example, my PR-20 mic puts out about 25 mV peak to peak into 600 ohms
under normal speech conditions.  This requires a setting of about 40 on
the mic slider for normal power out.  If I put a 1 KHz  tone into the
mic input at 275 mV peak to peak, the slider can be moved down to 10 for
the same power output.  Since the slider is lower, the signal to noise
is better.  A preamp with about 21 db of gain would be needed to let the
PR-20 work well with a mic slider setting of 10.

I hope this helps.

73,
Tom   W0IVJ