I always will recommend the Apple Macbook Pro (from the people who
initiated firewire into the marketplace). You can "boot camp" into XP
when you want to run PowerSDR (until the new architecture comes out
then you can run it from OS X which is a great OS).

73
Neal k3nc

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Peter Spader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Larry,
>
> I am using a new Dell M1730 XPS notebook running XP Professional (I think
> Dell still has them with XP).  It does have a 4 pin Firewire connector but I
> find the 6 pin to 4 pin cables work well, as does a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter I
> got from Radio Shack. It also has a CardBus slot and so I could get a
> FireWire CardBus adapter if I need to.
>
> I do have 4 gb of memory  and the processor is fairly fast and has a fairly
> large cache.
>
> So far any problems I have had running SDR do not seem to be related to the
> FireWire connection. The key is to get the best notebook you can afford,
> since the more computer power you have, the better SDR and the 5000A will
> perform.
>
> Pete (K2HGO

Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal Software
Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
(540) 242 0911