Disheartening comments by Joel, W5ZN (although he didn't intend it so...just
honest candor). The Ft-920 is over 10 years old and is on the used market
for about $800 or so. These are not off the wall opinions from just another
crackpot. Check out his credentials on QRZ. I would have hoped for better
raw performance from the SDR-5000. It seems a shame to need to add a custom
preamp to what is touted as a high end HF-6m radio. There are many great
things about this radio, and there are some issues as well. I frankly get
tired of the zealots that defend it with such fervor at times. For what it's
worth, the K3 reflector is just as bad. Just the nature of the beast I
suppose (our kids are always the brightest and our little girl should always
win the pageant).

        73 and flame on, the troll, Ross K9COX

"I have worked a few stations on six meters, but the Flex 5000 performance
for sensitivity and noise figure on six meters is not up to most other
radios. It certainly is inferior to my Yaesu FT-920.

The noise figure of the Flex 5000 on six meters is about 15 dB. Most people
have added a preamp for six meters. I have not yet done that as most of the
commercial preamps available offer a low noise figure but have around 20+ dB
gain, which is a bit more than you actually need to perk up six meters and
that much gain will impact other parameters. Al Ward and I think something
around 10 dB with a low noise figure would be ideal, but we're still doing
some testing."