Hello Bill,

I've been using the FLEX-5000A on 6m with an inexpensive 20 year old
Radio Shack (Archer) 50Mhz - 450 MHz CATV preamplifier in the RX1 In/Out
loop. It supposedly has 10 dB of gain, which is enough that  connecting
and disconnecting a 3-ele yagi pointed North (quietest direction for
this QTH) produces about a 6dB diference in the noise floor. I'm sure
it's a fairly lousy preamp for this purpose, but signals that were
indicating S9 + 40dB were not causing any problems.

There are other contributors to this reflector who have more experience
in this area than me, but I am quite certain that a decent preamp with
no more than 10 dB of gain, in combination with the FLEX-5000 would make
a terrific 6m radio for weak signal work.

I plan on having some fun with it this weekend during the ARRL June VHF
QSO party on 6m with the aforementioned preamp, and on 2m with an
Elecraft XV144 transverter connected to the XVTX/COM port on the rear
panel of the FLEX-5000A. What versatility!

73, Dale
WA8SRA