From: Jim McLester [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 24 June 2008 21:21
To: Keith Ferguson
Cc: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] PowerSDR Stops

Sorry I didn't save your prior info so I may be whistling in the dark....

Are you using XP? and if so, have you picked up a few updates in the
last couple of weeks?
I have declined to install SP3 because of a number of cautions here and
there, and I didn't really feel I had any problems, etc.
However, I got stupid a week or so ago and selected a bunch of
potentially needed updates.
CPU usage went to 50% of total on AMD 64X2 4600 machine.  Gave up
finding the cause, removed updates with restore via Norton Ghost
(windows restore back to before updates DID NOT remove the updates)!

System back to running like a thief in the dark!

Jim - W4YXU

Keith Ferguson wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions about this problem.
>

> Although the Firewire interface does share an IRQ with one other device
> (it's a motherboard interface and therefore difficult to change), the Flex
> has been running for several months without a problem (it's frequently
been
> left running for days at a time with no problem).
>

> However, I went back to the machine and ran the latency checker and got a
> neat line of maxed-out red bars - which is probably a pretty good
indicator
> of what (but not where) the problem is! The confusing thing about this is
> that the machine is used for nothing else other than the Flex, apart from
> the odd use of HRD with it, and, when I originally set it up, the latency
> results were very good - and I've changed nothing on the PC since. I've
just
> gone through and disabled all the drivers that can be disabled one-by-one,
> and it's made no difference.
>

> So, I'm now off to investigate what's going on in this PC.
>

> Tim, ref Outlook, I initially used the radio on my shack PC, and had a
> similar experience, in that an Outlook poll would stop it, but, in my
case,
> so would refreshing a page in Internet Explorer.
>

> Keith

http://www.flex-radio.com/

7:53 AM