Chuck,

The parallel port address on a PCI card should be a 4 digit number,  so
you will have to manually type it into the Setup menu for the 1K..  To
find that address go to Windows Device Manager => Ports (Com & LPT) =>
<your new LPT port>  right click on the new LPT => Properties >
Resources  ,  the first 4 digits of the I/O Range is the LPT Port
address that needs to be typed into the setup menu of PowerSDR..    This
should fix you up..

The reason that the USB drops after a period of time is that you have
the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"  box in
the Windows Device manager => Universal Serial Bus Controllers => USB
Root Hub(s)  properties => Power Management.    Go to each Root Hub and
UNCHECK the Power box..    That should stop the computer from shutting
down your USB ports and dropping the USB to Parallel adapter.

Hope this helps,

73,
Dudley
WA5QPZ

Chuck Mayfield - AA5J wrote:
> This FRS-recommended Dell Dimension E520 has no parallel port and no
> serial port.
> That makes it pretty much incompatible with SDR1K IMO.
>
> I have gotten tired of the USB disconnects that occur several times per
> hour of operation. So,
> I bought a PARALLEL-PCI card from the Web.  It is made by Lava
> (http://www.lavalink.com).
> When installed, the address is not one of those that can be selected in
> PowerSDR.
> The default install sets IO range of CCF8-CCFF and calls the device
> "Lava Parallel PCI (LPT3)".
> I can not change the I/O Range, because all the options are grayed out.
> (On-line Manual
> says that happens with XP and Vista.)
>
> HERE IS THE QUESTION: Is it possible to change the device address in
> Power SDR to make it work?
> If not, then I guess I need some help in selecting a PCI parallel card
> that will work....
>
> Chuck AA5J

Dudley

WA5QPZ