Hi guys!

Brian, what model of Athlon X2 are you using? How much memory and what
video card (sri if I missed this in a prior note)!.

The very first thing to do is go to
http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks2.htm and follow his
XP tweaking advice. When it gets to the part about turning off Windows
services, I would turn off the services listed in "Level 2" and if you
run into problems, make the services settings look like Level 1.

Anything that requires you open Regedit, ignore.

Second thing is to make sure your 1394a adapter isn't sharing an IRQ
(interrupt) with any other bandwidth hogs like the USB controllers,
the lan controllers or the video adapater. To do this go to the System
control panel, select hardware manager and once its open, go to the
view menu item and click on "by connection". This will sort the list
of devices by interrupt. Find your video card and see what else is
sharing it. If one of the bandwidth hogs I mentioned are sharing with
it, try moving it (or some of the other devices) to different slots.
On my machine, it wants to share the IRQ with the Ultra Audio Adapter
so I just disabled it in the device manager.

One other thing (while you have the device manager open), make sure
that the machine isn't trying to run TCP over the firewire port (its
default for some reason). Disable the 1394 Network Connection (don't
worry, it doesn't disable your firewire controller).

I have a computer with a X2-4800 and 2GB of memory and have run mixw
with the Flex-recommended values in VAC, at 96 Khz/1024 defined in the
driver spec and 2048 in the DSP buffer size. I would start at that and
if you see gaps in the waterfall (after doing the optimizations in
tweakhound) try 4096 in the DSP buffer.

The reason this can't be a "recipe" for everyone is that everyone's
set their operating system differently, has their 1394a card sharing
its IRQ with different devices, etc. Windows machines are "the wild
west" when it comes to performance tuning (not even sure its an art).

Let me know how this goes!

Neal