At 04:46 PM 7/22/2008, Robert McGwier wrote:
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-xp/future.aspx
>
>On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Jim Jerzycke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Newegg still has it in stock.
> > 73, Jim  KQ6EA

As MS says...

In industry speak, this is called "end-of-sales."
On June 30, Microsoft will stop distributing
Windows XP as a stand-alone product that you can
buy shrink-wrapped in the store. We'll also stop
sending it to Dell, HP, Lenovo and all the other
major PC manufacturers to sell on their PCs.

That said, Windows XP isn't going to disappear overnight.

You may still see copies of the software­or
computers pre-loaded with it­for months, as
stores and PC makers work through their
inventory. Also, smaller local PC makers­known in
the industry as "system builders"­can continue to
sell PCs with Windows XP until January 2009.

Finally, Microsoft recently announced that
computers with limited hardware
capabilities­devices sometimes called Netbooks or
ultra-low cost PCs (ULCPC)­can carry Windows XP Home until June 2010

----

As others have pointed out, this effectively
means that Flex-radio will have to make an effort
to get PowerSDR (or it's replacement) working on
Vista over the next year, since it's not a great
business strategy to sell a radio with operating
software that requires something you cannot buy
(a new computer with XP).  One could do this in a
very limited market (e.g. people sell power
supplies for SB220s and old Collins HF rigs which
have been out of production for decades), but,
realistically, that's a garage scale operation,
more like someone selling "repair parts" for
Model Ts and the like.  Flex is bigger than that.

I don't see it being a big deal... tedious for
Eric W. and the rest of the support crew at Flex,
to be sure.  Lots of issues will arise with folks
doing upgrades to Vista on existing hardware (for
which the odds of incompatibility and problems
are orders of magnitude greater.. just like going
from Win 3.x to NT), even though it's not really
necessary to upgrade (after all, XP will be
supported til 2014..). However, I expect people
who don't have a dedicated computer and who
upgrade other software will eventually find that
they want to run Vista (because the new version
of whatever only supports Vista).

I would see some support issues, even if the New
Architecture is totally cross platform
functional, just because folks will want to stay
with their old friend PowerSDR 1.x.  Flex will
have to make some decisions about what
configurations they want to sell: since they
won't be able to sell 5000Cs with XP after the
end of the year, they could either sell PowerSDR
1.x on Vista or NA on Vista or NA on Linux. (I
cannot conceive of trying to get PowerSDR running
reliably in emulation or VM...)

just my opinions..

Jim