There are a few older ham programs (un-maintained) which do not have the neat sound card setup options of more recent programs and PSDR. For those, the only option is to resort to setting VAC as the default sound card (input and output) and turning off computer sounds.

Recent ham programs and PSDR allow direct selection of the VAC sound card emulation.

AL, K0VM