I was in 1st grade and 3 years later, I got my ham license.

Man that was fun.  I totally escaped the limits of the backwoods of Alabama
with ham radio.  Nowadays,  it would not be an issue. My mother lives in a
town of 900 people in Alabama with 2mbps coming to her house.

Radio Shack?  All I had was the local TV repair shops to homebrew until the
foreman at my dad's factory gave me a DX60 kit he was never going to build
(his family bought it for him and he went legally blind).

The flood of many memories and the true impact of amateur radio on my life
comes rushing back in ......

A little more than a decade after I became a ham,  and met Richard Allen for
the first time,  I realized that ham radio was full of brilliant people.  He
was introduced to me by Tom Clark who had taken me under his wing.  I have
spent a career mostly doing what Clark has told me to do.  I think the
social networking sites are great, but the human contact and the impact of
personally getting involved and passing on your life's experiences to others
can NEVER be replaced by pushing a button on facebook or an amateur radio.
It is the PEOPLE who became amateurs that were important to me.

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"And yes I said, yes I will Yes", Molly Bloom