Frank,

First, let me clarify my position with respect to the new architecture:  I
do not work for FlexRadio, I am a volunteer developer.  My concept of how
the new software will be structured may or may not be the way it happens, I
can only suggest ways to implement it.

No, there are no diagrams currently available for publication, it is simply
too early in the process.  I understand there will be a formal presentation
at Dayton this year, at which time I'm sure more details will be published.

In general terms, your "requirements/wishes" are included in my
understanding of the overall design goals for the new software, you are not
off-track.

I am absolutely incompetent to discuss the audio chain, you will need to
talk to one of the resident wizards about that.

My current experiment in command and control looks like this:

A simple GUI built with GWT containing a few buttons to simulate band, mode,
and frequency selection.
A button press is translated into an HTTP POST with a URL like
http://servername:port/device/service_area/command.
A YAWS application receives the HTTP request and directs the command to the
application module (appmod) in charge of the device/service_area
requested.
The appmod spawns as many processes as needed to perform the specific task.
Some tasks may be accomplished by the initial appmod itself,
        others (like band swtiching) may need to spawn many concurrent processes
(change band, save/recall bandstack, etc).
At present, a simple TCP/IP server connects the VR kernel request to the
radio interface.

As stated above, this is the first-cut implementation and is subject to
change from minute to minute.  Wish I had more to offer.

73,

Bob K5KDN