On 1/24/09 1:54 PM, "NU8Z" <n...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I double ditto, that last ditto
>
> I also make the occasional mistake. I go to type in his call and end up on
> another band or up 1mhz.
> That all depends on his call ..hi
> I hate when I do that!
>
> Mark
> NU8Z

With the current software, that's pretty tricky. The basic scheme is that
the window manager handles the keystrokes and updates fields within a form.
When the form field value changes, it triggers an event to (potentially)
change something in the radio.

There's no handy place to intercept all events to keep a log of what was
done. And even if you did, you'd have to have a "to reverse operation X, do
Y" sort of table; which might not be doable, in that if the system were in
state A when you did the operation X, and then it went to State B, you can't
tell that you used to be in state A, and there might be many previous states
that can wind up at state B using operation X.

With a text editor, it's fairly easy (you have to do it anyway in order to
do "change tracking"). In fact, some editors actually don't change the
underlying file, they just have the original version and the record of
changes, and when it's rendered on the screen, a "virtual" version is
constructed by taking the base and applying the "diff"s to render. (this is
why MSWord documents can be remarkably large, even if you've deleted a bunch
of stuff)

Another strategy is one that captures a "state snapshot" periodically
(potentially each event occurance), and you have a way to "set to saved
state" (any gamers out there will understand this strategy!).  The current
PowerSDR doesn't have a nice centralized place where the "state" of the UI
is stored (the state of the radio hardware is fairly compact and could
pretty easily be restored..).  Even if you COULD somehow know the UI state
and restore it, it's not clear that the events resulting from the state
restoration would actually put the overall system into a consistent target
state.

Basically, it wasn't designed to do that sort of thing from the start.

I think the new architecture is closer to being able to do this. At least,
the UI state and radio state are more decoupled.

Jim