In reality you are probably right. Those of us who have primarily been
RTTY'ers for the past 20+ years have  come to associate afsk with
badly setup signals, double signals, splatter, etc.

I have (blindly) been holding out for FSK but after a braindropping
from Mr. Bickle (wasn't he the Extension Agent on Green Acres?) I have
come to the conclusion its just old analog thinking. It probably
doesn't matter where the shifting occurs, because its going to be
clean and filtered.

Also, being able to see your signal on the PSDR panadapter keeps you
pretty safe from overdriving it.

Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal Software
Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
www.abrohamnealsoftware.com
(540) 242 0911