Several weeks ago I put out a call for assistance on an
audio distortion issue I and several others had with the 5000. The FLEX
crew came to the rescue with several work around's to try and solve the
issues.
The audio was choppy and intermittent. Coming from 30 years in the analog
world, I can normley listen to audio and have a pretty good idea where
problems are coming from.... In the digital world - anomalies sound
different and can lead you to false conclusions and time consuming
repairs... In short a lesson has been learned and a new learning curve is in
front of me.
The following issues have been addressed and the issue is 90% corrected.
1) The 30 Amp. MFJ power supply meters are not accurate. After going to the
shift-ctrl-I the voltage was dropping as low as 12 Vdc. on Xmit, 14.2 Vdc on
RX.. The P.S. was replaced with a Astron and the voltage on Xmit now stays
around the 14.2 Vdc.
2) I was using a MSI P7N motherboard with a Q6600 CPU. I was relying on
the FIREWIRE/1394 interface on the motherboard. I installed a new,
standalone 1394 card.
3) Cell Phone RFI ! My Iphone also played a role in these issues. I had
my Iphone on a charger in the room adjacent to the shack. Sometimes in my
pocket, Only a wall separated the radio and the Iphone. I could hear
digital noise on the monitor and spent days tracking the source. Once the
phone RFI issue was isolated, there was vast improvement in
the transmit audio. Seems the source of pickup was not the Microphone as I
suspected, but perhaps the FIREWIRE or other cabling.
The results were very positive for everybody - much fewer DPC failures on
receive and the audio issues cleared up for the most part. Still rough on
low peaks but a 90% improvement.
--
Jim Menefee
James W. Menefee, Jr. P.A.
(904) 685-2218
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flex-radio.com/ Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/