Eric,

Thank you for setting me straight.

73, Ray, K9DUR

From: Eric Wachsmann [mailto:e...@flex-radio.com]
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 6:49 PM
To: Ray Andrews
Cc: Stig LA4WAA; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] FW: Flex3000 SSB TX bandwitdh ony 3.65K ?

Actually, there is a limit of 3650Hz on the high cut for each sideband (i.e.
7.3kHz on AM/FMN/DSB) when using the FLEX-3000.

Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems
"Tune in Excitement!" ™
On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Ray Andrews <k9...@rnacs.com> wrote:
Stig,

You may have misinterpreted the FLEX-3000 specifications.  The spec says,
"Flat Response 10 Hz to 3.650 KHz (SSB)".  This means that the audio
response is flat within that range and no guarantees are made outside of
that range.  It does not mean that the TX audio is limited to 3.65 kHz.

The actual transmit filter width that can be set is entirely controlled by
the software.  Therefore, it is the same for the FLEX-3000 as it is for the
SDR-1000 and the FLEX-5000.

If you increase the transmit filter width to greater than about 3.1 kHz, the
software will give you a warning about compliance with all applicable rules
& regulations.  However, you can ignore the warning and increase the filter
width to whatever you desire.  The Federal Communications Commission, the
government agency that regulates the Amateur Radio Service in the United
States, has recently ruled that ESSB is "not in accordance with good amateur
and engineering practice" on the crowded HF bands.   Therefore, US amateurs
are not supposed to use ESSB on HF.

If I am wrong on this, someone from Flex can shoot me down, but the way I
understand it, you should have no problems using the FLEX-3000 for ESSB.
Just don't do it in the United States.

73, Ray, K9DUR