OK, I know that the specs say 13.8V +/- 10% so that is an operating
voltage range of 12.4V to 15.2V. But what is the real operating range,
especially on the low end? Seems to me that the Flex 3000 is clearly
aimed at portable operation but portable operation to me implies
battery power. That means voltages down to 10.5V-11.0V, the voltage of
a discharged 12V lead-acid battery. Do the flex radios behave like
many of the other production radios and perform badly when voltage
gets a tad low? Many production radios from Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu
will FM during transmit as the voltage drops because there is
insufficient drop across their regulators and the low-level stages
lose regulation.

But the low-level frequency-determining stages for the Flex radios
mostly operate down at 5V or so I am guessing that the Flex radios
will work down to 11V but perhaps the PA might not meet all specs. I
do not consider that to be a problem.

But inquiring minds, i.e. those who are planning to run solar/battery
power for Field Day, want to know.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL